Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Clock Guy

We're getting ready to move to another house in the neighborhood. One of the things we'll need to move is our grandfather clock, which is fragile and temperamental, and not something most movers are thrilled to deal with.

About three weeks ago, I called the clock shop who sold it to us. The guy there said they wouldn't move the clock, but for $280, they'd take the guts out of it, wait for us to haul it down the street, and then put it all back together. Call back with a date.

Yesterday, I did that. Only this time, he said the price would be $390. 

I paused. Explained that I'd been quoted $280 a few weeks ago. Explained further that the new house is exactly six doors away from the old one and it will take no more than 10 minutes to move the clock case from one place to the other. We're not talking about an all-day process here. 

He didn't budge. $390. Couldn't explain why we'd been given the lower price before, but there was nothing he could do about that.

Know what? There's something I can do about that. I called another clock place. And they're going to disassemble the clock, wait for me to move it, and reassemble it for $255. 

Grandfather clocks are supposed to be serviced every two years; much like pianos, they need tuning. Since buying our clock in 1998, we've done that through the first clock store. 

As of yesterday, I have a new clock servicer. The people who are helping me move the beast couldn't have been more flexible, accommodating, or nice. And they have a long and great reputation for their work.

Farewell, old clock shop. Seems awfully short-sighted of you to lose a customer over $110, especially in the current economy, but that's your choice. Mine is to wave good-bye and move along.


No comments: