Thursday, September 25, 2008

No, You Can't See My Card

I hate loyalty cards.

You know the ones. They either fatten your wallet or crowd your key ring. They're those little cards cashiers are forever pestering you to swipe before you check out.

I don't hate them because they chunk up my wallet or whack against my knees when I'm driving. I hate them because they creep me out.

Giant, CVS, Ritz Camera, and all of the other stores that offer these things--and there are lots of them now--make something of a deal with the devil when they hand you one. They give you better prices, and you let them track everything you buy.

You knew they were doing that, right? It's like those contests that give away Fabulous Cash and Prizes if you put your card in the slot. It has nothing to do with the prize, boys and girls, but it's all about collecting your information to solicit you down the road. Over and over and over.

Anyway, I don't particularly like having my purchases tracked. Not that I buy anything particularly interesting. It's all about groceries around here, and we're pretty boring in that department. But the whole concept is too Big Brother for me. Icky sticky yuck.

Count me among the growing number of consumers who fill out those loyalty card forms with bogus names, addresses, and phone numbers. Yes, it's obnoxious to Big Brother. Ask me if I care. 

Better yet, just give me good prices without tracking what I do with them. You'll have a customer for life.

No comments: