Tuesday, November 4, 2008

And Then There Was Light

We moved Saturday.

Hoisted the big TV onto the wall, flipped the switch...and nothing. *heavy sigh*. Pulled it back down, checked the wiring, flipped again. Nothing.

Called Verizon. They said someone would call me within the day to set up a time to come out and service our connection.

That didn't happen.

Called the next day. Same spiel. Someone will be there.

Still didn't happen.

By now, I'm annoyed. I'm not a huge TV watcher, but I am paying for this.

So today, I called again. This time, a real tech (as opposed to Some Guy Off The Street) answered the phone. "The solution," he said, "is simple. They have you in here as having a DVR system. And your box can't read that signal." He said he'd call me back in half an hour.

Know what?

He did it. Miracles do exist. And when he called back and I flipped the switch, I had a TV picture. Multiple channels, even. On both TVs.

Needless to say, I thanked him profusely and asked who I call to recommend him for a promotion or raise or the Medal of Valor or something. I also asked him for his direct phone number, for next time.

More training, Verizon. If the guys who answer the phone can't solve simple problems, tech support is useless. And since they're the customers' gateway to your company, you can guess the impression they're making on the people who pay the bills. 


No comments: