Friday, October 3, 2008

Quality

One of the guys I didn't hire to finish the hardwood floors called me today. He has a special next week, see, and wanted to know if I would be interested.

"We went with someone else," I said, feeling bad but not wanting to waste any more of his time. DH is in sales; I know how valuable every call is.

He paused. Asked me why.

Here's the thing: he wasn't that much more expensive than the company we ultimately hired. But he broke down his estimate, room by room and service by service. And one of those services, to the tune of $350, was an option to use a dust containment system on the sanding machine. 

DH flipped when he read that. "Wait a minute," he said. "You're going to charge me extra to do the job right?"

He has a point: the other company is probably charging me more to use the machine, but they're not breaking it out like that. It's just part of the service. You hire them; you get dust containment.

By making it an extra item, the second guy looked...cheap. And lacking a bit in the quality department. 

Honesty is a good thing. I'll give him that. But charging extra for part of the job that you know good and well everybody wants? Just build it in. Tell me you demand that kind of attention to the job. If you'd want it in your own house, do it in mine.


1 comment:

Mary said...

I agree with you...BUT....

Don't ever look at the break down for your medical bills/vet bills.

I was shocked when the vet itemized stuff and $4.75 of the charge was for medical waste disposal. As in throwing the 2 needles in to a sharps bin. WTF? I'd rather just know the vax cost $20 total, not the broken down charges....