Thursday, October 23, 2008

Time

I screen contractors carefully. I ask for references, post about them on listserves, and check Angie's List and the local Better Business Bureau before I hire anyone. Generally, that gets me good quality work.

It's not getting me a lot of respect, though.

I'm having hardwood floors refinished this week. Three days ago, the guys left samples of colors on the floor. Two samples. Gee, thanks. We didn't like either. 

Yesterday, the sales guy was supposed to meet me at the house at 8 to see more colors. Mind you, I don't live there yet. So I went over, turned on the heat, and waited.

And waited.


And waited.

Shortly after 9, I called him. "Oh yeah," he said. "The guys aren't there yet?"

Uh, no. Besides which, you were supposed to meet me. Not your guys. You and I were getting together to look at colors. 

Around 9:20, he pulled into the driveway.

I realize an hour and twenty minutes isn't the end of the world. But it's time I could have used to pack more stuff, make some money, or work on other things. Besides which, it shows a complete lack of respect to schedule an appointment and just not show.

Shockingly, the phone number he used to make sure I'd sign the contract would have worked to reach me to say he wasn't coming. You know?

It's really a turn-off, this kind of shoddy customer service. The floors look beautiful, but guess which company I won't recommend? 

No comments: